Recent weirdness in bind behavior

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Feb 5 22:16:07 UTC 2002

In article <a3pj0u$pvl at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jay L <jl_678 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  I am running Bind on RH 7.1 system.  (Bind version 9.1.0-10)  I have
>had the server running consistently and successfully for 8 months;
>however, I just experienced an odd problem.  I was trying to send
>email to the domain "horicapital.com" when my mail server kept giving
>me an error saying "nameserver not found."  I was curious about this
>so I logged onto my server and type "Dig horicapital.com ns."  Sure
>enough, nothing came up.  Curiously, if I do a look up on one of those
>web based DNS look up pages, it comes back with a valid answer.  I
>then stopped and restarted Bind and found that this solved the problem
>as my machine now can properly resolve horicapital.com.  Any idea why
>I might have had this problem?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You should have done "rndc dumpdb" and looked in the cache dump.

The delegation of horicapital.com points to {dns1,dns2}.interland.net.
However, the NS records within the horicapital.com point to
{a,b,c}.ns.interland.net.  The same is true for the interland.net domain
itself.  This can cause problems like the one you saw.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA