Problems with DDNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 5 22:26:33 UTC 2002

Paco Orozco wrote:

> I need a hand in one of my projects.
>
> I've got three DNS servers, BIND 9 based and one domain hello.com.
>
> SERVER1  is hello.com  master.  SERVER2 has got some zones. In these
> zones updates DDNS are allowed, for example dynamic.hello.com. SERVER3
> is hello.com slave.
>
> Workstations has, as a primary server SERVER1 and as secondary
> SERVER3. Servers that needs update DDNS have SERVER1 and SERVER3 too.
>
> My question is:
>
> -> Is there any feautre to be able to work this scenario (DDNS)?

By default, Dynamic Update clients will use the contents of the SOA
record (the MNAME field) and the NS records for a zone, to determine
where to send their Dynamic Updates. So as long as you have correct
information in those records, the Dynamic Updates for hello.com should go
to the master for hello.com, the Dynamic Updates for the
dynamic.hello.com zone should go to the master for that zone, and so
forth.

> -> How can i solve problems with inverse resolution (DDNS)?

I assume you mean reverse DNS. We'd need to know what problems you're
having with it before suggesting solutions to those problems.