Problems with DDNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Feb 7 14:20:29 UTC 2002

Paco Orozco <nospam at nospam.es> wrote:

>I heve got several Windows 2000 servers, involved in Active Directory.
>It modify via DDNS some DNS records in dynamic.hello.com.
>
>All server who needs DDNS are part of dynamic.hello.com zone, but all
>of then aren't on the same segment, they aren't on the same
>in-addr.arpa. zone.
>
>When a server modify a record in dynamic.hello.com, it can't do it in
>its reverse zone (in-addr.arpa.)
>
>One solution is to allow DDNS on all reverse zones where contains
>servers with DDNS needs, but Is there any solution? Can I limit DDNS
>updates on in-addr.apra zone only to machines in dynamic.hello.com?

You did not say how large your address space is.  What I did is take
the five specific 255-address subnets that needed to be dynamic and
delegate those subnets to my W2k DNS box.  I do not know of one can
delegate less than 255 addresses; I asssume that following RFC 2317
it is possible.  I have enough subnets that I do not have to worry
about RFC 2317.  I have only one forward and its five reverse zones
on the W2k box (in addition to 24 "_" zones) because I still do not
trust the W2k DNS code.  These 1+5 zones are there because the owner
of the zones wanted them to be dynamic, managed by his W2k DHCP
server.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4021
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov