VPN and something like Dynamic DNS ...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Feb 7 15:55:36 UTC 2002

In article <a3u0c0$mub at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Thorsten Wandersmann  <pitu at caipy.de> wrote:
>As you see, sometimes it's the internal (192...), sometimes the external
>(1.2.3.4) adress.

What did you expect?  If there are multiple addresses for the same name, it
just round-robins them.

>Is there a possibility to "order" the entries in a way, that the internal
>always cames first (or last, when the last entry is taken first ...)?

What would be the point of doing that?  If it always ordered them in the
same way, the second address would almost never be used (most applications
only use the first address that's returned).

Your original message never explained clearly why you wanted multiple
addresses to be listed for the same name.  If you want predictability, give
them different names.  Or if you want the server to use a particular
version depending on where the query is coming from, use views.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA