A error in bind's log,what's that means?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Feb 8 15:28:31 UTC 2002

In article <a3vth1$281 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
David Xiao <xiao at info.sta.net.cn> wrote:

>My name servers in charge of some ip reverse.
>I found the BIND log in my secondary name server like:
>
>'Err/TO getting serial# for "C.B.A.in-addr.arpa"'
>what is that mean?
>
>What can I correct that?

It means that when the secondary server tried to query the SOA record from
the primary server, it got an error or the query timed out.  You will have
to investigate further to find out what's causing the error or timeout.

Check your log for nearby messages that may give more details, like
'[x.x.x.x] not authoritative for "C.B.A.in-addr.arpa"', which usually means
there's a syntax error in the DB file on the primary server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA