DNS and clusters

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 13 01:27:33 UTC 2002

I'm surprised this ever worked at all. Did old versions of BIND
"flood" all of the delegated nameservers for a zone and then take
whichever reply arrives first? That doesn't seem very scalable to me.
Since it is assumed that all delegated nameservers for a zone have the
*same* data for that zone (other than some temporary inconsistencies
which may occur between zone transfers), any delegated nameserver's data
should be as good as any other, so you may as well try them in order.
Modern versions of BIND prefer "faster" nameservers (as measured by the
speed at which they have responded to recent queries) over slower ones.

Why do you need such fine-grained load-balancing anyway? And are you
aware that the speed at which a node serves up DNS is often only
indirectly related, if at all, to the speed at which it can perform other
kinds of client/server functions, e.g. serving up web pages or database
queries? Is it not sufficient to divide the load roughly equally between
the cluster nodes? You could achieve this by just having the
"ourvaxcl" name resolve to multiple IP addresses.

- Kevin