graphics4.nytimes.com and BIND 8.3.1?

J Mike Rollins rollins at wfu.edu
Fri Feb 15 22:05:01 UTC 2002

I recently upgraded from BIND 8.2.5 to 8.3.1 and began to receive
complaints from our users regarding the nytimes.com site.

Name lookups for graphics4.nytimes.com would timeout with 8.3.1 but would
return quickly with 8.2.5.

I downgraded our site to 8.2.5.  Our users are able to resolve
graphics4.nytimes.com, but I would still like to know what the issue is.

I have found that on a test machine, an nslookup graphics4.nytimes.com
will return in about 30 seconds under BIND 8.3.1, but under 8.2.5 it will
return immediately.  However, one real oddity is that the answer is always
non-authoritative under both 8.3.1 and 8.2.5.

Anybody have any similar experience with 8.3.1?

(O' yea, I had problems with www.etrade.com too.
The "query-source address * port 53" thing)

Mike

      UNIX Systems Administrator at Wake Forest University.
          J. Mike Rollins              rollins at wfu.edu
     Wake Forest University     http://www.wfu.edu/~rollins
        Winston-Salem, NC            work: (336) 758-1938