Year old IP keeps surfacing

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Feb 19 19:34:03 UTC 2002

Ric <ric at digital-animations.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> We have been running our own DNS for over 5 years now without any problems.
> However we changed the IP of our main webserver (www.digital-animations.com)
> almost a year ago (to a colocation facility) and ever since then the old
> (pre-move) IP keeps resurfacing across the internet, with varying percentages
> of the population getting the out of date IP. We worked around this problem by
> running a web mirror at the old IP but since we are now moving office this is
> no longer possible.

HAve you looked at your delegation data and compared with
teh running servers ?

dig digital-animations.com ns @H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

will show :
digital-animations.com. 172800  IN      NS      NS.digital-animations.com.
digital-animations.com. 172800  IN      NS      CRANKLE.digital-animations.com.
NS.digital-animations.com. 172800 IN    A       62.253.177.112
CRANKLE.digital-animations.com. 172800 IN A     62.253.177.114

asking :
dig digital-animations.com ns @NS.digital-animations.com.

will show :
digital-animations.com. 86400   IN      NS      ns.digital-animations.com.
digital-animations.com. 86400   IN      NS      crankle.digital-animations.com.
ns.digital-animations.com. 86400 IN     A       62.253.177.112
crankle.digital-animations.com. 86400 IN A      62.253.177.114

which is in line with delegation data BUT

asking :
dig digital-animations.com ns @crankle.digital-animations.com.
digital-animations.com. 86400   IN      NS      crankle.digital-animations.com.
digital-animations.com. 86400   IN      NS      ns.digital-animations.com.
crankle.digital-animations.com. 86400 IN A      62.253.177.114
ns.digital-animations.com. 86400 IN     A       193.132.240.212

does not give the same ip's.

Maybe this will give you a starting point.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)