FAQs (was Re: RNDC STATS - What is the meaning of the contents ?

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Wed Feb 20 12:25:15 UTC 2002

In article <a503su$fdn at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Eivind Olsen wrote:

> This must be a FAQ. It's a question that's being asked again and again
> by different people. The answer can be found in the BIND 9
> Administrator Reference Manual (section 6.2.14.15 in the BIND 9.2.0
> ARM).

speaking of which... is there still not a faq for this newsgroup?  if no
one else wants to volunteer, i could start to put one together and then
everyone could correct any mistakes / come up with new questions and
answers.

i can make it publicly accessible via http / ftp as well, if necessary.

so far, questions / answers i think we should have (just a rough
outline; not actual questions or answers):

1) www.mydomain.com is resolving inconsistently
   a) make sure you haven't registered a host (ie nameserver) with that
      hostname at some point.

2) nslookup: can't find server name for address ...
   a1) setup proper reverse dns for the server in question AND
   a2) use dig or host instead of nslookup.
       (possible sidebar with reasons why nslookup sucks)
       (possible info on obtaining dig / host for win32)

3) can i block tcp traffic to (from?) port 53 on my nameserver.
   a) no. (explanation...)

more suggestions?  has anyone already created a faq?