Every off site query is non-authoritative

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 20 15:27:02 UTC 2002

In article <a4vdl6$9j4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Greg Robinson  <nospam at nospam.no-org.org> wrote:
>I've just upgraded our primary nameserver from 8.2.2 to 9.2.0 and
>have noticed that *every* query, for which we are not primary for,
>is non-authoritative.

That's to be expected.  Your server isn't authoritative for those domains.

>We forward our queries to another nameserver, which in turn forwards
>to yet another, so it just maybe possible that this query has
>been looked up before.  But under 8.2.2, most of them were
>authoritative answers.

In BIND 8 and earlier, if the server had to recurse (either to a forwarder
or the authoritative servers) to get an answer, it would simply relay the
answer back to the client.  So if the answer it received was authoritative,
it would send an authoritative answer to the client.

In BIND 9, these answers will have the Authoritative bit turned off, just
as if they'd come from the cache.  The AA flag now indicates whether the
server that the client queried is authoritative.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA