Logging problem

lewwid at telusplanet.net lewwid at telusplanet.net
Fri Feb 22 13:08:05 UTC 2002

My secondary logs named.queries successfully.  My primary doesn't.  I'm using the same setup and I can't see where I went wrong.
This has been a 4+ hour issue and now I need you, the pro to see if you can see what i'm doing wrong.

I've tried .. killall -WINCH named (over and over .. each time dig @nameserver domain to see if it logs (it does on the secondary)).

/var/named/* is owned by bind.bind
/var/named/log is owned by bind.bind (750)

When I run named on the primary it outputs 3 files.. log/named.default, log/named.packet, log/named.security.
default and security work 100%, however packet doesn't print anything out.  On the secondary it outputs 4 files.. all of them log correctly.

I've also tried .. touch named.queries and even chmod 777 named.queries.

** my setup... **

Primary:  Freebsd 4.5-release
Secondary: Freebsd 4.5-release

Primary: bind 8.3.1-Rel   /usr/local/sbin/named
Secondary: bind 8.3.1-rel /usr/local/sbin/named

primary commands:
/usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -g bind -c /named.conf -t /var/named

Logging {
        channel my_default {
                file "log/named.default";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_panic {
                file "log/named.panic";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_packet {
                file "log/named.packet";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_statistics {
                file "log/named.stats";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_queries {
                file "log/named.queries";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_config {
                file "log/named.config-highlevel";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_security {
                file "log/named.security";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_response-checks {
                file "log/named.response-checks";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel my_os {
                file "log/named.os";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };

        category default { my_default; };
        category panic { my_panic; };
        category packet { my_packet; };
        category statistics { my_statistics; };
        category queries { my_queries; };
        category config { my_config; };
        category security { my_security; };
        category response-checks { my_response-checks; };
        category os { my_os; };
};

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help...