slave on per-zone basis only?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Feb 22 20:44:40 UTC 2002

j2n tech <dweeb at geek.com> wrote:

> "WebReactor Networks" <bind at webreactor.net> wrote in message
> news:a53sfc$71h at pub3.rc.vix.com...
>> Matt:  Is SteveP correct in his interpretation of your question?
>>

> Yes, he is correct in his interpretation.  I wasn't prepared for this to be
> such a complex issue!

> Thank you everybody for your responses.  In short, I have learned that there
> is no global command that will program a slave to automatically update and
> grab zones from a master.  From what I have learned here, I assume that a
> named.conf entry has to be manually added for every zone (or with a script)
> on a slave.

Correct.

If you recognize that configuring DNS may be more complex then using
one box as master for all zones and another box as slave for the same zones
you realize that manual configuring is a must for all other cases.

Typically one has several nameservers and a mix of master and slave zones
in each + a heritage of "odd" zones ( say slaves for other organizations ) here
and there.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)