Strange behavior with zone forwarding.

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Feb 22 20:47:50 UTC 2002

jjhirschauer at duke-energy.com wrote:

> I am on BIND 8.2.2-P5+IBM. I have many master zones, a few slave zones,
> and a few forward zones. The master and slave zones work fine. One of the
> forward zones (not sure about the rest) works sometimes. Example: I start
> named, check the log and everthing looks good, dig for
> hostname.fwddomain.com (internal zone with name changed) and get the
> proper response. I stop named, start named, check log (everything okay),
> and perform the same dig. This time the server thinks that it has to go
> outside for the answer and returns only the external SOA of fwddomain.com
> with an NXDOMAIN response. This behavior is completely unpredictable. Any
> thoughts?

You are running an awfully old bind, with known security risks. It _should_
be replaced.

When replaced, there is a slight possibility that your problems went away,
if not, try turning on debug and post the resulting logfile.

( and yes, the appropiate part of named.conf would be of value too)

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)