Disable TCP/53

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 22 23:03:08 UTC 2002

What are you so paranoid about? We've had zone-transfers open for years and not
once have we suffered from an AXFR DoS attack. Is all the maintenance of those
firewall rules buying your organization any real security, or is it just
feeding some PHB's gnawing case of paranoia? How many times have you had zone
transfers *break* because an off-site slave re-addressed their server and
forget to tell you about it?

Oh, and what do you plan to *if* some day your DNS maintainers decide to create
an RRset which will cause responses to overflow 512 bytes? Will you get enough
advance notice so that you can modify your firewall rules accordingly, or will
things just break unexpectedly?

If you're *that* paranoid about zone transfers, then use TSIG to restrict
access. But leave TCP/53 open on the firewalls. That's the only practical
option, IMO.

- Kevin