dns spoofing?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sun Feb 24 19:45:56 UTC 2002

> I do a nslookup on ns1.catalyst.net and i have:
> Query Sent: NS1.CATALYST.NET
> Started at: 17:31:19
> Stopped at: 17:31:19
> Server:  ns.ceti.pl
> Address:  62.121.128.50
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    NS1.CATALYST.NET
> Address:  216.102.118.230
>
> When i do a nslookup on 216.102.118.230 i have :
> Query Sent: 216.102.118.230
> Started at: 17:32:24
> Stopped at: 17:32:25
> Server:  ns.ceti.pl
> Address:  62.121.128.50
> Name:    MrYowler.WOPR12.su
> Address:  216.102.118.230
> Aliases:  230.118.102.216.in-addr.arpa
>
> MrYowler.WOPR12.su doesn't exist, how can it be done???

You can reverse map an IP address to any string you like, simply
by putting that string in the RDATA of the PTR record.  There's
no requirement that it be a real domain name.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes