DNS performance - Would this work ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 3 00:42:17 UTC 2002

Fat Albert wrote:

> Hi,
> I did a "top" command on our primary DNS server and noticed that it
> was like at 95% usage. I was wondering if I updated the
> /etc/nscd.config file and updated the cache time for host to longer
> than an hour, which is what it's set at now to maybe 4 hrs. Would
> improve performance ?

If you're using both "named" and "nscd" to cache hostname information,
then you're duplicating effort and that's probably not helping your
CPU situation any. I'd suggest turning off the "hosts" cache of nscd, if
possible, or just disable the daemon completely. If you're still seeing
excessive CPU usage, then we can talk about tuning TTL values and/or
other parameters...