BIND 8.2.5 not caching queries

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 3 01:49:05 UTC 2002

In article <a00e3r$l02 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
McNutt, Justin M. <McNuttJ at missouri.edu> wrote:

>Okay, perhaps I'm doing something stupid here, but I looked around a bit and
>I can't find anything that says I'm doing this wrong.  So here's the deal:
>
>Host dnps-linux1 is a Slackware 7.1 box running a newly-compiled BIND 8.2.5
>named.  It is also set up to receive syslog messages from several of our
>routers.  Every time a message from a router comes in, syslogd does a name
>lookup against the IP address so it can put the DNS name in the log file.
>When syslog messages start coming in fast and furious, the traffic to the
>name servers was getting horrendous, so I figured I could set up a local
>caching server to solve the problem (thus keeping all of the queries local).
>
>Problem is, it's not working.  The machine still sends name queries to the
>"real" (authoritative) servers every time a log message comes in (shown by
>packet captures).  The queries only come between 20 and 40 seconds apart,
>which is *way* smaller than the TTL for those entries.  So what's the deal?

Is the real server really authoritative for the reverse domain?  If the
real server is responding to the reverse lookups with SERVFAIL error codes,
the local server won't have anything to cache (negative cache is only used
for authoritative NXDOMAIN responses, not server failures).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA