Dig gives ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached-

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Thu Jan 3 13:56:26 UTC 2002

Tarek Hamdy wrote:

> I enttered command:
> telnet 0 53
> Tyying 0.0.0.0...
> telnet: connect to address 0.0.0.0: Connection timed out
>
> According to your message, means the port is open and not
> responding.  I tried lsof -i TCP:53 and got command not found.
>
> So, if the port is not responding, what is the best course of action
> to direct troubleshooting/research? Some feel it is the iptables, but
> I can run nslookup from this winnt client to get a complete
> authoritative answer showing nothing is wrong with DNS with the
> internel client using the RH 7.2 server as its DNS server.  I am
> posting this from that client.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tarek Hamdy

[snip]

Tarek,

Looking over this thread, it seem that you do have issues with your
iptables, but I cannot tell for sure since you only posted a section.

1.  Look for rules of the 'lo' interface (or with the loopback IP
address, 127.0.0.1, both as '-s and -d').
2.  What is the default policy? DROP or REJECT?  I think it must be
DROP.

It seems that you are droping datagrams on the loopback interface.

My reaction to the rules that you did post is that they are very through
as far as they go, but overly complex.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jim