Dumping Cache

Traynham.Ken at epamail.epa.gov Traynham.Ken at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jan 3 16:23:29 UTC 2002

How does one dump the cache?

Thanks,
Ken Traynham

                    Kevin Darcy
                    <kcd at daimlerchr        To:     "'bind-users at isc.org'" <bind-users at isc.org>
                    ysler.com>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: BIND 8.2.5 not caching queries
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    01/02/02 07:54
                    PM

Doesn't make any sense to me. If this were BIND 9.2, I'd say it was
pre-expiring entries because the machine was running low on memory, but
this is
BIND 8.2.5, and it's not that smart (usually BIND 8 just crashes and
burns if
it runs out of memory).

Random diagnostic ideas:

    1. Double-check the TTLs on these PTR records.

    2. Try doing reverse queries against the local caching server and
verify
that the TTL values are decrementing properly (dig's "-x" option comes
in handy
for reverse lookups).

    3. Dump the cache.

- Kevin