Please be gentle

ComCity mikeb at comcity.com
Fri Jan 4 01:38:51 UTC 2002

I'm sending this message and prepared to get only slightly flamed because I
know I'm severly out-of-touch.  Please be gentle.

I've been running Bind for NT that I believe was originally distributed by
Internet Software, ver 4.9.5.  its about 6 or 7 years old.  I know the
Internet has changed alot in 7 years.  Hey, up to know, its been working
like a champ...why reck a good thing.  I know there are some denial of
service attack problems and other things but up to know...we've never had
them I don't think.

Recently, though for some reason, we have noticed that the TCP port 53 of
the secondary nameserver is being flagged as "down" for some reason by our
monitoring software.  The UDP port 53 seems to be showing up and working
fine.  I believe that the nameserver is this condition is for the most part
working but we can't monitor it anymore.

First question:  Does anyone know why this could be occurring?
--------------

So, given this problem, I guess I'm forced to look for a resolution and thus
"create new problems".  So, I went looking for the next version but it
doesn't appear that a post-compiled version of Bind exists anymore for NT.
And, I know that Microsoft now distributes some form of Bind or a Nameserver
with the Operating System.  So that brings up the next question:

Second question:  Should I be running the M$ nameserver or should I continue
looking for an NT version of Bind?  Someone must have an opinion on this.

I don't have access to any C compiler here on NT....so

Third question:  Is there an NT executable version of Bind out there someone
like the old 4.9.5?