Dynamic update in bind 8

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 4 23:46:08 UTC 2002

Tony wrote:

> Can someone please explain how dyncamic updates work? The way I understand
> it is:
>
> If I have bring up a new host (new machine) on the network and I give it a
> name "host1.domain.com" pointing the DNS to the master DNS server
>
> Does this mean my master server zone will get an A record of host1? What
> about a PTR record?

Dynamic Update is just a way for a client to update a DNS database residing
on a nameserver. Whether your client machine is configured to register an
A record for its name, or a PTR for (one or more of) its address(es), using
Dynamic Update or some other protocol, is more a matter of OS configuration
than anything to do with DNS or BIND _per_se_.

Whether the relevant nameserver(s) are configured to accept those Dynamic
Updates, if any, is controlled by the "allow-update" clauses in the relevant
zone definitions in named.conf, assuming they are running BIND.