bind9.2.0:xfer-in: error: failed while receiving responses: CNAME and other data

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jan 4 23:56:12 UTC 2002

> folks, I'm trying to slave from a customer box but xfers error with (name
> and IP changed to protect the innocent =):
>
> xfer-in: error: transfer of 'domain.com/IN' from 1.1.1.1#53: failed while
> receiving responses: CNAME and other data
>
> any idears what's going on here?

	Yes.  The master server is failing to reject a illegal zone
	data.  When your server attempts to transfer the zone it
	detected the illegal data.  Unfortunately by the time it
	detects the problem it is very difficult to determine what
	name is involved as the records involved are part of a
	larger commit.

	Transfer the zone by hand using "dig" then run "named-checkzone"
	on it.  This will allow you to identify the ownername of the
	conflicting records.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org