Bind cannot open /etc/namedb/named.conf

Anthony Atkielski anthony at freebie.atkielski.com
Sat Jan 5 13:27:03 UTC 2002

> what version of bind is that and what do
> these lines look like in your rc.conf?
>  named_enable=""
>  named_program=""

The version is 8.2.3-REL on FreeBSD 4.3.  The two lines in rc.conf look like
this:

named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind -t /etc/namedb"

I figured out that the -t (chroot) option is causing the problem, but I'm
not sure why.  I guess I really don't need to chroot for a machine isolated
on my LAN that doesn't receive external queries anyway, so I removed the -t
option and it ran okay.  I'd still like to know why it caused a problem,
though.