Resolving domain.com to a host?

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sat Jan 5 14:30:05 UTC 2002

>This may seem odd, but I have seen other sites resolve just a domain name
>to a given host.  This enables you to put http://kites.org in your web
>browser as opposed to http://www.kites.org.  What is the secrete to doing
>this?  I am sure it is some sort of catch all CNAME but nothing that I have
>tried has worked.

1. in DNS

www.kites.org  A ip.ad.re.ss
kites.org      A ip.ad.re.ss  ; same as preceding A

This will route browsers to the ip address. DNS can do no more.

2. In the web server, you have to set up a named-based website that answers
at that ip.ad.re.ss to one of the two hostnames above as the default
hostname, and to the other(s) as alias of the default.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways