Can anyone explain this error to me?

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sun Jan 6 01:40:52 UTC 2002

>Attempts at looking up the in-addr.arpa PTR records of the name server
>ns2.perfectinternet.net via the address(es) 213.171.194.21 failed with the
>error(s): Name Error.
>Obviously this is a problem which needs putting right but I'm not sure where
>to look / what to change.

# dig -x 213.171.194.21

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> -x
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      21.194.171.213.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
213.in-addr.arpa.       2H IN SOA       ns.ripe.net. ops.ripe.net. (
                                         2002010501      ; serial
                                         12H             ; refresh
                                         2H              ; retry
                                         2W              ; expiry
                                         2H )            ; minimum

>Any help really would be appreciated.

That subnet has not been delegated, technically, ie parent DNS to child
DNS, below ripe parent.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K