propagation?

Chris chris at cjetech.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 15:53:59 UTC 2002

Hi,

I am trying to set up a web server.  I am running bind on the same box
as the primary DNS and using granitecanyon as the secondry.  I
followed the linux documentation project howto, and got a response
from ns1.ukcomdot.com straight away.  However I have been unable to
get any response whatsoever from www.ukcomdot.com or any other sub
domains from any machine other than the server itself.

I am running redhat 7.2.  I have included some file bits below.  I
have put in some extra information in my debugging process, so I know
that some of this is superfluous:

The ukcomdot.com zone file:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.ukcomdot.com. hostmaster.ukcomdot.com. (
                        200201075
                        28800
                        7200
                        604800
                        86400
                        )
@       IN      TXT     "Experimental domain for protoLAB Ltd"
@       IN      NS      ns1
@       IN      NS      ns1.granitecanyon.com.
@       IN      NS      ns2.granitecanyon.com.
@       IN      MX      10 mail.ukcomdot.com.
@       IN      A       212.74.13.148
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
ns1     IN      A       212.74.13.148
www     IN      A       212.74.13.148
mail    IN      A       212.74.13.148

Tail part of the named.conf file:

zone "ukcomdot.com" {
        type master;
        notify yes;
        file "ukcomdot.com";
};

zone "212.74.13.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "212.74.13.148";
};

The reverse-lookup bit:

$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns1.ukcomdot.com. hostmaster.ukcomdot.com. (
                        2002010705 ; Serial, todays date + todays
serial
                        8H      ; Refresh
                        2H      ; Retry
                        4W      ; Expire
                        1D)     ; Minimum TTL
@       IN      NS      ns1.ukcomdot.com.

148     IN      PTR     ns1.ukcomdot.com.

As I say, it seems to work from the server itsself, and ns1 works
elsewhere, so what is going on?  Is there some propergation issue?
I'm a bit confused!

Cheers,

Chris