rndc.conf, rndc.key, and chroot

Brian Noecker bnoecker at jabber.com
Mon Jan 7 16:47:11 UTC 2002

I've got a bind 9.2 server running in a chroot but I'm having issues with
the rndc command.  I can successfully shut down the server, get status,
etc., but when I try and reload the server, I get the following:

Jan  7 16:39:32 dns1 named[25280]: [ID 866145 daemon.error]
/etc/named.conf:15: open: /etc/rndc.key: permission denied
Jan  7 16:39:32 dns1 named[25280]: [ID 866145 daemon.error] reloading
configuration failed: permission denied

I initially had the key "rndc-key" statement in my /etc/named.conf, so I put
a chmod 640 on the file so it wasn't world readable.  I got the above error
so I put the key statement in a rndc.key file and included that in the
/etc/named.conf and then made the rndc.key file chmod 640, but the same
thing happens.

Does anyone have the correct way of permissioning these files in a chroot
environment so the rndc works?

Thanks