Weird problem trying to resolve name

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 7 18:54:30 UTC 2002

In article <a1bf5s$n3v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Frederick Czajka  <w2k at austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Ok guys I am not sure of what is happening.  I thought that I was
>having a DNS server issue.  It is behind my firewall, so there is no
>access.  But I can reproduce the problem on one that is on the NET.
>I was sending an e-mail and it bounced.  What is it telling me? I
>think I know but am unsure....
>
>Frederick
>

>[root at mystic log]# dig a rrzc2.rz.uni-regensburg.de @ns1.dyndns.org
>
>; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> a rrzc2.rz.uni-regensburg.de @ns1.dyndns.org
>; (1 server found)
>;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>;; got answer:
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6
>;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 0

Notice that the "ra" (Recursion Available) flag isn't set in this response.
That means that the server you're querying doesn't allow recursive queries.
Since it doesn't have recursion enabled, it can't be used to look things up
in other domains.

ns1.dyndns.org is intended to be used as the authoritative server for the
domains they host, not as a caching server by stub resolvers.  Try looking
the name up using your ISP's nameserver instead.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA