Lame Server and New ISP

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 04:26:29 UTC 2002

solarwarp at lokmail.net wrote:

> Is the lame problem because I have something set up wrong or is it
> because they have something set up wrong?  If you wish, please check
> OFDA.NET.

Your zone files have GTEI nameservers listed for this zone - one
or more of which is not answering for the zone.

Try these....

dig @ns1.savvis.net ofda.net ns

dig @dnsauth1.sys.gtei.net pox.ofda.net

> Also, what is the most generally accepted way for most setups to be
> with regards to allowing zone transfers, queries, recursion, etc.

Zone transfers are usually restricted to genuine secondaries.

Queries to authoritative name servers have to be allowed from
everywhere (Some blackhole unused or illegal IP addresses, but
I'd leave that to the routers).

Seperating servers providing recursion from those providing
authoritative data is not uncommon, to prevent pollution if bugs
exist in the BIND code base.

Restricting recursion to your own IP addresses picks up
misconfigurations early, but can be a pain to implement if
wasn't always thus!