TTL, automatic changing??

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 9 16:17:23 UTC 2002

In article <a1hgs9$3gj at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Johnny Damtoft <dns at named.dk> wrote:
>Is there a way to make the TTL change automaticly up to a "deadline" for a
>change?
>
>Like, if i have a mail server witch gets a new IP 1.00pm, i would like the
>TTL to change all the time until 1.00pm.
>
>I have heard that TinyDNS could do this, but what about Bind8 and 9??

No.  What you can do is keep changing the TTL to smaller amounts as you get
closer to 1pm.  At 1am change it to 3 hours, at 9am change it to 1 hour,
and at 11am change it to 5 minutes.  Just make sure that the time you make
the change is more than the current TTL period from your deadline.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA