troubles 4 beginner

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Jan 10 00:20:33 UTC 2002

At 03:55 AM 1/9/02, MarcoA wrote:
>hi danny,
>
>"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>news:a1fiqp$lnb at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> > >now i need to implement a NT(4srv sp6) solution, so i'm trying bind 825
> > >i have made a zone transfer from solaris to bind, and successfully
>started
> > >due to a previous try, which ended in a strange behaviour,
> >
> > What kind of strange behavior?
>
>hard to say.. i set up a bind 823 for all the lan, and everything seemed to
>work smoothly. it was my first bind or dns configuration, so i was very
>happy. after a week or so, bind was not anymore able to resolve addresses
>and the nslookup confirmed it. maybe i messed up something with serial
>numbers that rule updates in dns config files, don't know..
>at that time i deactivated bind, restarted old solaris, and contacted ISP
>that helped me to check for the config of the solaris dns.
>another possibile issue colud be the fact that, at that time, the NT machine
>NIC had a double IP address, say .2 and .3 - NT permits this, but now i
>removed such a "feature", because i don't know the effects. i made that
>because the new NT dns machine was also our mail server (.3), and our old
>solaris dns was .2, and that was the ip registered for our domain dns so,
>switching the nt dns to its double duty i had the (probably) bad idea to
>assign to its NIC the double IP address.
>
>what do yo think about this?

I suspect that you were using nslookup to look up addresses.  nslookup
for some strange reason wants to look up its own IP address and give you
it's own name before it's ready to get the information you are looking for.
If you don't have the IP address for the nameserver in the reverse zone
nslookup will fall over and be unable to give you an answer.  You should
use dig instead.

I've had 40 IP addresses bound to the NIC.  Everything works as it should
and I've never heard of any problems with doing that.

> > >it seems to work, right now, but is this dangerous?
> > There is no reason why it should not work. In what way do you think it
>would
> > be dangerous.  The worst that can happen is that the DNS Server fails and
> > your pc can't resolve addresses until it is restarted or you change your
> > IP nameserver configuration.
>
>don't know.. i thought that after the zone transfer i had two master dns
>(well, just for testing the new one), and that this could be wrong for
>outside world..

After the zone transfer you have a master and a slave.  Both servers are
authorative for the zone, but only the master can be changed to update
the zone records.

         Danny