DNS Lookup Failed

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Jan 10 19:27:34 UTC 2002

* Allie Syadiqin <allie at time.net.my> said, on [020110 11:20]:
> FYI, I am running 2 nameservers on a single machine. I know that its
> not wise, but its only on a temporary basis until I can get another
> machine up. Anyway, here's the info on the nameservers :-
>
> ns1.vserver.com.my : 202.56.152.174
> ns2.vserver.com.my : 202.56.152.175

tigger[~]$ dig @ns1.vserver.com.my . ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns1.vserver.com.my . ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 6
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ., type = NS, class = IN

;; Total query time: 333 msec
;; FROM: tigger.rfc822.net to SERVER: ns1.vserver.com.my 202.56.152.174
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 10 11:23:45 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 17  rcvd: 17

tigger[~]$

You have not told your server about the root servers. You should have a
statement that looks something like this in your named.conf:

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.cache";
};

with the appropriate records in root.cache, which you can get with this
command:

$ dig @198.41.0.4

Without the addresses of the root servers, your server does not know
where to go to resolve other domains.

-Pete