Can any body explain this?

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Thu Jan 10 20:18:20 UTC 2002

> Hi friends,
> First, I'm a newbie (and these are so few in the world;-)) trying to
> manage my doamin by myself. I have BIND 8-2 run on redhat 7.0.
>  I configured named.conf to point to the zone file of firstdomain.com
> registered at netsol.
> Everything went ok. Telnet/FTP and www worked fine. Now the problem is
> the following. I registered a second domain at 6star.net.
> Subsequently,
> I replaced all the configurations for firstdomain.com in
> named.conf and
> the zone file with seconddomain.net. It does'nt work. When I do
> www.firstdoamin.com, I still get my homepage perfectly, but not with
> www.seconddomain.net. Why is that? Is this a matter of time untill the
> changes propagate through internet?

Not for you.  Since your DNS clients should point to your own server, they
should work immediately, if your server is set up correctly.  Therefore,
your server is not set up correctly.

Post the sections of your named.conf file for the two domains.  Also, note
that after you add the second domain to your named.conf file, you must tell
the name server to reload ("kill -HUP `cat /var/run/named.pid`" or "ndc
restart").

Also, look in /var/log/messages and see if the name server is trying to load
the zone file for the second domain at all, and whether or not loading the
zone file fails.

> Second, I'm really confused with the zone file. I learned
> setting up bind
> from several bind tutorials and the book 'Linux Network
> Servers'. These
> explain very well how to do things and why, except for the SOA entry.
> As you know, the zone file begins with:
> mydomain.com.	IN	SOA		<NS.SOMTHNG.COM>
> hostmaster.mydomain.com
>
> The question is: What sould I put in <NS.SOMTHING.COM>?
> Is it mydomain.com? or the Primary DNS name server I got from
> my domain
> registrar? I have 3 primary and 3 secondary DNS name servers.
> The first I
> got it from my ISP, the second and the therd I got them from
> the domain
> registrars. So, If I have to use one of them, which one?
> If I have to use mydomain.com, sould I make a subdomain like
> ns1.mydomain.com?
> All the tutorials I went through explain everything clearly
> except this
> point.

for "NS.SOMETHING.COM" you should put the fully qualified domain name of the
name server you are on.  For example:

missouri.edu.  IN  SOA  noc.missouri.edu.  umciatsdnsregister.missouri.edu.
  .
  .
  .

Don't forget the trailing dot after the name of the server!

--J