How many zones running BIND ??

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Thu Jan 10 23:05:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:53:13PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Nate Campi wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 07:31:01PM +0100, Johnny Damtoft wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, im running a set of servers with 6500 zones, and its going great :o)
> >
> > How long does it take your nameserver to start?
> >
> > I often wonder why BIND 9 doesn't allow a compiled binary db to be
> > loaded from disk, instead of being compiled and loaded (only) into
> > memory at each startup. Seems like a rewrite would be the time to get
> > this right.
>
> I doubt that this "feature" would be worth the effort. Frozen config files in
> sendmail sucked.

Maybe I'm not clear on this. It's like your db's for fast alias lookups
with sendmail. That does not suck, that is a great feature.

BIND could benefit greatly when people host many zones (in the
thousands). Cricket mentioned the Lye (spelling?) brothers who have BIND
boxes that take two hours to start. Ask them their opinion on this
issue.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if
you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."