Configuration Question

lauren misslw at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 00:08:08 UTC 2002

It depends on which ones you have registered with the NIC,
if you have all three registered (which it looks like you
do for domain duracom.net) then whenever someone does a
query for a host in that domain then all three name
servers will be returned as authoritative. The
authoritative hosts are just returned as 'authority
records', there is not a distinction between master and
slave in the response. So whichever one has the fastest
response time is going to answer the query.

So to answer your question, yes people will be able to get
to ns2 and ns3 if ns1 dies. But if ns1 dies and ns2 and 3
are not able to pull transfers for awhile (longer than your
expire time, a week on duracom.net), they will no longer be
considered authoritative so it would not be such a good
idea to just let ns1 die and the slaves take over for a
prolonged period of time.