newbe: syncing all zones of a bind server

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Mon Jan 14 19:20:13 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 05:46:22PM +0100, steven wrote:
> > If you're familiar with rsync or rdist, you could actually clone the
> > original onto a second box, and they would both be masters for all the
> > zones. This might not be a bad way to do it, though I've never tried. I
> > can't think of any gotchas with that method offhand - and it would even
> > help if/when you mess up on the serial numbers on the master. You
> > wouldn't have to mess with sequence space arithmetic or purging the zone
> > from the slave, you could just sync the fixed version to the clone.
>
> I think will be the solution for me....
> I've got another question that goes in a similar direction:
>
> I'm planning to update from an older version of bind (8.something) to the
> newest (That will be 9 then). To accomplish this I'll actually just install
> FreeBSD with BIND9 on a new Box and somehow move the zonefiles over to it
> from the old SuSE-Linux Box with BIND8. Are the DB's compatible? Can I just
> make a straight copy of all the zone-files?

The data files for your zones are the same format, though BIND 9
has tougher syntax checking on your zone data.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

"If you put a billion monkeys in front of a billion typewriters typing
at random, they would reproduce the entire collected works of Usenet in
about ... five minutes."   -Anon.

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"   -Blair Houghton