Linked DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 15 02:41:51 UTC 2002

Xavier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to configure a DNS to declare another DNS for a specified domain ?
>
> I am using Bind 8 under NT. I have a DNS configured and running. I have a
> second domain with it own DNS. I want to say to the first DNS that for the
> second domain named 'bee', it have to transmit request to the DNS at the
> specified IP x.x.x.x ...

Is the "bee" domain not resolvable normally in DNS, i.e. by following the
delegation chain down from the root zone? You should avoid
"hardwiring" nameserver information like this whenever possible. If you
_must_ hardwire, then you could use a zone of type "forward" or "stub" to
tell your nameserver explicitly where the other nameserver is. Another option
to consider is to simply make your nameserver a slave for the zone. Then you
wouldn't have to send queries to the other nameserver at all, except to
periodically check the zone's serial number (and of course you'd do a zone
transfer whenever that serial number changes).