BIND 8.3.0 RC2 is now available for public testing

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Fri Jan 18 05:59:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:37:43PM +1300, Don Stokes wrote:

> Mark.Andrews at isc.org wrote:
> >> Most of the bug fixes post 8.2.3 are in areas that many of us just don't
> >> use. There's lots of fixes to IXFR and DNSSEC stuff, and int support
> >> programs, which many servers don't use at all.
> >
> >	Just because *you* don't make use of them doesn't mean they
> >	are not important to those that do.  There are also a lot of
> >	bugs that potentially impact just about everyone.
>
> Oh, absolutely.  My points here are that different folks use BIND
> differently.  If I don't use DNSSEC, I don't need to worry (much) about
> bugs in it.
>
> Secondly, upgrading in itself is risky.  There is a risk that something that
> worked with one version won't with a new version.  That happened to me
> between 8.2.2-P5 and 8.2.3.

It has been my observation that the main risk with upgrading to a newer
version of BIND 8 is that it will no longer allow crappy syntax or flat
out wrong configurations.

Most differences in newer versions are for the better - IIRC 8.2.3
enforced stricter perms on the directory I had the ndc channel in, 8.2.5
enforced the "CNAME and other data" rule in a parent/delegating zone,
maybe others that I can't think of.

The point is - each release tries to make a tighter, stricter BIND,
which is a good thing, IMHO.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

Do you think I could buy back my introduction to you? - Groucho Marx