NS RRs in a different circular order

Yassine.Sissi at cec.eu.int Yassine.Sissi at cec.eu.int
Mon Jan 21 15:07:45 UTC 2002

Hi,

I would like to know how the NS query works exactly. If i configure a number
of NS records for a zone, in which order those records will be used by
resolvers.

For the test, I configured my DNS server to not do recursion. If i try to
resolve a couple of times entries in the domain test.admin.net, I see the
result of served NS is always in a different circular order.

So my question(maybe very obvious) is: What mecanism is used to display the
list ?

NS RRs:
--------

$ORIGIN admin.net.
test                    IN      NS      ns1.test.admin.net.
                        IN      NS      ns2.test.admin.net.
                        IN      NS      ns3.test.admin.net.
                        IN      NS      ns4.test.admin.net.

nslookup: