Interpret BIND 8 (AA) log messages please

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 21 19:02:16 UTC 2002

In article <a2hdm6$m6t at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jim Britain  <jbritain at home.com> wrote:

>I've just completed a system "recovery" from a crashed hard drive.  In
>that recovery, I moved from BIND 4 to BIND 8, as well as upgrading the
>operating system -- that's all basicly irrelevant, except for
>background.
>
>Some new messages:
>Received NOTIFY answer (!AA) from 199.191.128.106 for
>"hpcwatch.com IN SOA"
>
>and
>
>Received NOTIFY answer (AA) from 192.153.156.3 for
>"92.19.206.IN-ADDR.ARPA IN SOA"
>
>What is the meaning of the (AA) and (!AA) portion of the log message?

It specifies whether the Authoritative Answer flag in the answer is set.

My first guess at the reason for the difference was that 199.191.128.106
was not configured as a slave for hpcwatch.com.  But both those servers are
slaves for their corresponding domains, so that doesn't seem to be it.  Now
I suspect that the difference may be related to the versions of BIND
they're each running.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA