CLOSE_WAIT not closing in Bind 9.2.0

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Tue Jan 22 05:42:35 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:41:46PM -0800, D.M. wrote:

> Nope, those aren't our slavers.
>
> Yeah, we have quite a few records with data that would exceed UDP
> packet size which explains the use of TCP.
>
> I can't figure out why named isn't closing those connections.  Why
> would it sit in CLOSE_WAIT ?  The following doc says I should truss
> and snoop to find the answer.

Interesting. One sees a lot of this behaviour on busy web servers- it's
usually caused by browsers that die or are killed in the middle of
receiving data. ISTR that some versions of MSIE from a few years ago
would do the same sort of thing. I wonder if there is something out
there that's causing some name servers to behave the same way.
I notice that your name server is in 1918 space. Perhaps your NAT or
firewall device is doing something interesting with 53/tcp? What sort of
NAT device are you using?

At any rate, I don't recall you telling us what OS you run, but
http://www.sean.de/Solaris/tune.html used to be of some use on Solaris
web servers, but tuning a web server and tuning a name server are *vastly*
different enterprises, and even at that, really affecting CLOSE_WAIT (as
opposed to TIME_WAIT) is *hard*.

Were I you (and I'm not, but...), I'd be looking hard at the reasons for
those > 512 byte records. There's virtually *always* a way to do
whatever it is that you're trying to do without causing TCP retransmits.

my $.02

-Pete