Bind 8.3.0 chroot different than 8.2.5?

Yanek Korff yanek at cigital.com
Tue Jan 22 15:17:21 UTC 2002

I've been running Bind 8.2.5 for some time now, chrooted on a FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE system in /usr/local/etc/namedb, so [-> denotes symlink]:
${CHROOT}/etc/named.conf -> ${CHROOT}/etc/namedb/named.conf

For convenience,
/etc/namedb -> ${CHROOT}/etc/namedb
and
/etc/named.conf -> ${CHROOT}/etc/namedb/named.conf

The named.conf file specifies /etc/named.conf as the configuration file.

I have been running named using the following command line arguments:
/usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -g bind -t /usr/local/etc/namedb
without any problems... until I upgraded to 8.3.0.

As soon as I started 8.3.0, I received the following error message:
can't open '/usr/local/etc/named.conf'

Well of course it can't!  Why is version 8.3.0 now trying to?  I managed to
get the server started by running:
/usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -g bind -t /usr/local/etc/namedb
/etc/named.conf

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Do I have to specify something
differently in 8.3.0?  Well, I guess the answer to that question is clearly
yes... so, WHAT do I have to specify differently to avoid having to specify
/etc/named.conf on the command line?

-Yanek.