correct way to do CNAME's on server with no recursion

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 23 00:05:50 UTC 2002

I think this may be just a matter of perception. When the customer
queries the name using a command-line tool like "nslookup" or "dig", and
points it directly at your nameserver, then all they get back is a CNAME.
So maybe they *think* it's not working. But recursive resolvers will work
harder to get the name than "nslookup" or "dig" will. External CNAMEs
shouldn't be a problem for them.

- Kevin