Just what *is* a hostname (rfc952/1123, etc)

David Carmean dlc-bu at halibut.com
Wed Jan 23 07:42:21 UTC 2002

OK, where exactly do "hostnames" appear in the IN DNS, as opposed
to "domain names"?

Cricket says: "..in the name fields of A...and MX...records....  also
in the data fields of SOA and NS records."

So far I haven't been able to figure out from the RFCs whether a
hostname is just the leftmost label in a domain name, or whether
the *entire* domain name (fully-qualified or relative) must be
considered subject to the RFC952/1123 restrictions?

I suppose I could look at gethostby*, but I'd rather get an
authoritative answer from an RFC.

And what happens when I18N/L10N (whichever) rears its head?

Thanks....