external lookup failure

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 23 15:51:50 UTC 2002

In article <a2ml3c$nbe at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Adam Forsman  <aforsman at onelink.com> wrote:
>I recently rebuilt one of our secondary name servers, and am having a little
>problem.  Everything local is working fine, but when I try to resolve an
>external address (like www.sun.com) it spits out a non-existant host/domain
>error.  From my primary server it works fine though.  How can I get my
>secondary to try to resolve external names?

Sounds like the server either:

1) has an incorrect root hints file;
2) is being blocked by a firewall from making recursive queries outside;
3) is missing "forwarders" entries that are needed to deal with the
firewall;
4) has recursion turned off.

If you used dig instead of nslookup it might be possible to narrow down the
possibilities, because it doesn't give the same error message for almost
every error.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA