Compile errors BIND 8.3.0

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 23 19:21:52 UTC 2002

    Chris> HELP - I'm compiling BIND 8.3.0 on Solaris 8 with gcc,
    Chris> bison & flex and make depend is fine - make stdlinks is
    Chris> fine but make all bails on this:

    Chris> gcc -I../../port/solaris/include -I../../include -g -O2
    Chris> -D_REENTRANT -c res_debug.c \ -o threaded/res_debug.o
    Chris> /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccp2xMlF.s", line 4133: error:
    Chris> unknown opcode ".subsection"

This is not a DNS problem. You haven't configured gcc correctly. It
looks like you're making the compiler use the Sun assembler and it
doesn't understand the assembly code produced by the GNU C compiler.
Maybe /usr/ccs/bin is in your search path in front of the directory
where the GNU assembler is installed?