Zone transfer between 9.2.0 and 8.3.0

Bob McGregor bob_mcgregor at gfps.k12.mt.us
Wed Jan 23 23:20:48 UTC 2002

Hi,

I am having an issue getting a zone to transfer between the 8.3.0 =
version=3D
of Bind for NT(W2K) and the 9.2.0 version of Bind on RedHat Linux 7.1.

I have setup the allow transfers and have the 8.3 version setup as master
and the 9.2 version setup as slave and all the in-addr files transfer
successfully.  However, the main domain file does not save on the 9.1
slave.

On the redhat box(slave) I can do a

dig @primary.server domain name axfr

and it appears to get most if not all (cant tell) of the records and then
ends with
;; communications error to ip.ad.re.ss#53: end of file=20
when I do the same dig command from an NT box I get what looks like
successful ending of the file (record count, etc)

Also when bind 9.2 is starting up on the redhat box I get the following
error in the named.run file:

transfer of 'filename.domain/IN' from ip.ad.dr.es#53: failed while
receiving responses: end of file
transfer of 'filename.domain/IN' from ip.ad.dr.es#53: end of transfer

Any ideas of what my problem may be?  I did chroot the 9.2 version if that
matters.  I also have done the named-checkzone on the file with the
problem and it comes back as OK. Any help would be appreciated...

bob