international domain registration issues/dns related

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 24 00:56:41 UTC 2002

In article <a2njs9$spu at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jon Booth  <jon at lucidlogic.com> wrote:
>For Australia .com.au the tld authority is pretty strict. Before it
>accepts the nameservers for the domain the following tests must be
>passed.
>
>1) There must be at least 2 name servers
>2) Serial numbers from both nameservers must match
>3) The name you enter for the nameserver (ie ns.telstra.net) must match
>the IP address you enter for the nameserver (I don't know why the don't
>just ask for the name and do a lookup)

What if the nameserver is in the domain being registered, as is often the
case?  Things are simpler if they have consistent rules for all domains.

>4) The zone file on each nameserver must contain all the nameservers you
>are submitting as authoritive for that domain and no more.
>5) Both name servers must return authoritive results for the domain.
>
>There a re peobably a few more. Pretty much your setup has to be A1
>correct. They a very strict compared to .com registrars and have caused me
>to hurl much profanity at my poor monitor as I got them exact. Hope that
>gives you something to think about.

Some countries also require that the master name in the SOA record be
listed in the NS records.  They apparently don't understand the concept of
hidden primaries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA