international domain registration issues/dns related

@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc. shore at quasar.net
Thu Jan 24 01:16:05 UTC 2002

I think I understand why you are asking ;)

Especially if you are doing a lot of this and people are telling you they
can't reach your nameservers then I'd be anxious to look into that too.
And it appears your VeriSign service did what was expected...they told you
why the registration was rejected.  I would think it is not their job to
debug technical problems in someone's setup.

If they are telling you that they cannot reach your nameservers, what they
probably mean is that your specified nameservers (specified by you are the
service registering them for you) are not answering for those domains.
But the way it looks like they worded it also makes one wonder if they
just can't reach "your nameservers."

So to find out who their nameservers are who can't reach either your
nameservers and/or desired domain from their nameservers you'd first query
like this:

To find out where your server thinks the co.nz servers are would be
simply:

dig co.nz. ns

(don't forget the trailing dot)

or to find out where one of the legacy root servers think their
nameservers are it would be like this one:

dig @a.gtld-servers.net co.nz. ns

or to find out where my server thinks they are (ORSC) would be
dig @ns1.quasar.net co.nz. ns

In theory all these responses for co.nz should be the same.

Then you can query those nameservers for your specified nameservers to
make sure they can "reach" your nameservers at all.

Even if they can't it could be a timeout issue somewhere between.

Then make sure you have set up your desired domain on those nameservers
and that they are answering.  This is in *most* TLD registrar agreements
that the domain should be first answering on those nameservers before it
gets delegated.  There are a couple where it reads that way in their
agreement but I have noted that some are looking the other way and you
will even sometimes see whois lookups with one or no nameservers listed.
With most registrars that is a valid cause to revoke a registration even
once it's been delegated.

-Dena
     -=Dena Whitebirch=-          ***         http://quasar.net/
@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc.  *** "Internet Powered by Experience"