I need Arguments: Bind 9 vs. MS DNS (Win2000)

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jan 24 20:48:56 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> replied:

>In our case, we're using MS-DNS for two zones of our Active Directory DNS
>hierarchy, and BIND for one zone. Note that this is just for the SRV records
>that the Domain Controllers write, however. We don't implement client
>registration. So this probably makes our Win2K implementation rather atypical.

If you search the list archives you will see many postings concerning
the interaction of W2k and BIND since mid-1999.

We have basically the same DNS setup as Kevin.  The only zones I have
on my W2k DNS box are 24 "_" zones and five other zones.  These five are
one forward zone and four reverse zones for one subdomain of anl.gov
where the administrator wanted all his forward and reverse registrations
to be handled by a MS W2k DHCP server.  There are problems in these
zones, probably related to the DHCP server.  We have not had time to
pursue these errors to determine the exact cause(s).
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov